A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Getting Ready

Last week we traveled.... while I love going on vacation - it's a bit stressful for me.  I hate to leave my furries.  Over the years we have done some things to try to alleviate my angst.  The main thing is the cameras - I have 6 wireless cameras that can be accessed via laptop or cell phone.  I can check in on the critters, see their food and water levels, etc.

We have people on call - neighbors across the street for quick time reaction, and friends a couple of minutes from the house in case neighbors are not available.  We also have security system that is attached to fire and C02 detectors - if the alarms go off the security company has info on each of the critters - names, descriptions, where they  might be, etc.

This trip we used our trusty pet sitter.  Our critters love her and she takes very good care of them.  She comes twice a day and has a variety of chores - some icky and some not so bad.  She gives Zoey and Ollie their thyroid meds and checks on the rest of the gang.  Everyone but Emma who gets to stay with Grandma and Quincy while we travel.

Getting ready to go is a pain - phone calls to make, critter set up - moving the crew downstairs - upstairs gets shut down so we have an easier time of finding critters on camera.  We have to make sure suppiles are stocked up and that everyone is good to go.  Cameras have to be set up and tested, etc - lets just say its alot...

I get tons of questions on the cameras - they are D-Link wireless cameras.  I get them on Amazon -


Luckily I have a very tech savvy hubby who can make all sorts of tech savvy stuff happen with little to no effort on my part.  I am not a hardware girl - I wanna push the power button and have everything work without having to mess with it.  So - in regards to configuration - you are on your own... sorry.

Our trip was great and everyone was fine - we are all back together and getting back into a routine - its all good stuff!


No comments: