A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

In General

In general - things here are going pretty well. Other than sweltering heat, piglet's dog food incident, and my freak out moment with the baby birds things are pretty status quo.

Winston is having a bit of a rough week - we had a citronella candle outside - sitting on a table.  I think it may have gotten blown over by the lawn guys when they blew off the patio.  Needless to say - in this heat it was in a totally liquid state.  It made quite the mess on my patio - still trying to figure out how to clean that up....but - of course Mr. Curiosity headed right over there and stuck his snout in it.  I don't believe he ingested any and he certainly did not like the smell on his snout.  He came running over for me to fix it which I did by wiping his face with my t-shirt.  There was nothing else handy....  I called our vet just to have peace of mind and he assured me that the pig was going to be fine.  Even if he at some the citronella was not at a level where it would be harmful and the wax would likely just make his belly upset rather than cause a blockage or other issue.  I am keeping an eye on him.  He had his dinner and is feeling quite frisky - banging on the kitchen door with his snout when he hears me cooking - hoping for a treat.

Emma is doing well - she is not a lover of the weather - goes out, does her business, checks the perimeter and wants back in.  Her tummy was upset yesterday - some lamb and rice wet dog food seemed to settle her.  She has always had a touchy tummy.  Today she seems to be feeling good.  She gave the lawn guys the what for whenever they got too close to the doors.  Crazy dog!

Kitties and ferrets are all doing well.  The ferrets have all had a turn playing in our room.  I will start over with Tabby in a couple of days.  They are all doing well although they have been a bit neglected with Mom time the last two days - wow - its been busy around here!  Kitties are all doing well - need to get them in for annual vet visits - not sure when that will happen - too much on the calendar at the moment...cripes!  Targeting first week of August....fingers crossed.

Baby birds are growing and getting some feathers and mommy bird is doing a great job of keeping them fed.  I have seen her several times over the course of the day today - being a mommy bird is a lot of work.

 All in all things here are going pretty well.  I will keep an eye on piglet but I do think he is fine...

No comments: