A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Drama Kitty

Oliver has 'squinty eye' again - that's my technical term for it.  He is quite rough and tumble and he wrestles with both kitties and ferrets and as a result he gets poked or gets something in his eye three or four times a year.  I have taken him to the vet for this condition multiple times and they give me a soothing ointment - but really no treatment for it so I have started treating him at home using colloidal silver.

When his eye is squinty I flush it out with a syringe of the silver - Oliver hates this process but tolerates it.  Usually in a day or two his eye is good to go.  I flushed it out last night and went to check on him early this morning.  He is such a little tabby colored turd....I went in his room and he was bathing himself - his eye was a tad bit swollen but open almost normally.  Then he saw me - little stinker snapped that eye shut.  'Oh - my eye.'     D R A M A.....

I gave him lots of lovies and I cleaned it out and flushed it again.  He ate the attention right up.  As always I will keep a close watch on it and take him in if it doesn't get better in the next couple of days.  And - my standard disclaimer - I am not a vet and the treatments that I decide to use on my critters are not to be considered a recommendation.  Please consult your vet should your furry have an issue.....

No comments: