A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Saturday, August 29, 2015

A Crummy Critter Day

Yesterday was just a crummy critter day.  I don't have many of them thankfully and they stink when they happen.

Winston continues to limp on his front foot - although I can say that as I type this - I just let him out and he was showing marked improvement this morning.  I hate it when any of my fur children aren't feeling 100%.

Emma managed to get stung/bit in the mouth by something while she was outside.  We had a couple of hours of worry where she was not feeling great but today she is back to normal.  She had a Benedryl last night to help with the swelling that was left and today you would never even know it happened.  Geez...

And lastly - my sweet Harlow girl.  She scared the crap out of me yesterday.  Around 4:30 I went to go and wake her for her feeding.  She ate just fine but when I put her down her back legs were not working.  She has been experiencing some back leg weakness over the last month - its a symptom of her disease.  It has changed her gate a little bit but she has been perfectly mobile and quite active.  I promised myself that at the slightest hint of decreased quality of life we would make the difficult decision and do what was necessary to prevent her from suffering.  After many many tears last night and a quick trip to the craft store to get the supplies necessary to make a paw print (the company that does after care has quit offering this service) - we returned home to find her a bit wobbly but significantly improved.  Thank goodness!!  Over the course of the night she got even better and this morning she is feeling kinda frisky and has been pretty mobile going from our room down the hall into my closet, into two purses, through the hanging items that are long enough to touch the ground and into her pirate hat bed.  So - I think we are out of the woods for the time being.  I am afraid her time with us may be short so I intend to soak it up as much as possible.  She will spend the day with her ferret and kitty siblings today and I will keep a very close eye on her.  She seems to be feeling quite good so I hope whatever remaining time she has left is full of ferret happiness and joy.





No comments: