A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, August 28, 2015

Updates From the Zoo

It looks like once a week is all I can fit in these days for blogging.  I will be glad when I am back to a normal routine!

Things here are incredibly busy but going very well.  Critters are happy and for the most part healthy. Here are some quick updates....

Emma is doing just fantastic - she loves running and playing in the yard and is getting used to the new house with its new smells and such.  Her health seems just fantastic.  It's about time to order her another Soresto  flea collar - be proud - I just went on Amazon and ordered.  Finding if I don't do something when I think about it - its gone out of my brain.....


Winston is doing great - still limping a bit on the front cracked hoof - the back seems to be much better - the crack is growing back together and he doesn't seem bothered by it.  The front one is getting better as well but it's one of those things that takes time.  Winston really seems to love it here and some of his undesirable pig behaviors like head swiping, trying to show dominance and being destructive out of boredom have all gone away.  He is just a happy piglet that wears himself out playing outside each day.  I am so happy for him (and for us).  Here is one of him begging for a cookie - look at that dirty face....


The kitties are all doing well.  They seem to be adjusting to their new space.  Even Aggie - my hater of all things change has started to explore and find new snoozing spots.  Health wise they all seem to be doing great - good appetites and healthy coats and happy active kitties. For some reason I didn't snap any pics of my Zoey girl - I will get her the next time I have the camera out....

Ollie

Phoebe

Aggie

Ollie and Phoebe
The ferrets - that little bunch of weasels - they are something else.  They seem to be doing so well - I am really happy with how they have made this transition.  They are active and playful and curious.  Their health seems to be amazing.  They seem to be closer than ever as a family which I am loving.  All in all I am pleased as punch (what a dorky saying that is).  Here are some ferrety snaps for your viewing pleasure:

Harlow and Theo - those two are very close and Theo is Harlow's protector

Harlow, Theo and Fiona who I woke while taking pictures.  They are sleeping in an empty box - who needs beds and blankets anyway???

Bash, Kai and Tabby behind the bathroom door

Madison snug as a bug in her favorite spot - the cat carrier

Last but not least - Miss Violet sacked out in the ferret tunnel
And last - an update on Harlow.  Her weight has pretty much been in a free fall - from close to 700 grams down to the 540s.  I have been feeding her every two hours to ensure she has good nutrition and hydration.  I had quit weighing her every day because it was just too stressful and depressing but I popped her on the scale yesterday and she was 558 which makes me cautiously optimistic that we might be on an upswing.  This is what happened last time so fingers crossed we will continue to climb. The good news is that through all of this she hasn't been "sick".  She is active and curious and happy to be with her siblings and I honestly don't think she feels bad.  She definitely doesn't have the stamina of the other ferrets but interestingly enough they seem to know that and are very gentle with her.  I think her quality of life its still quite good - most days are 8 or 9 on a scale of 10 and even when she feels cruddy it seems to only be for a short period - a few hours - and then she seems to bounce back.  It's a lot of work but I do love taking care of her and I hope I get to continue for a good long while.

So - that's it for this week from the zoo....Happy Friday!

No comments: