A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, August 07, 2017

A Bit of a Blood Sugar Scare

We had a bit of unwelcomed excitement this morning.  I went to give Violet her meds this morning. She gave me a bit of a hard time about taking them which is unusual.  I put her down and noticed that she was staggering and leaning to the right.  I got a bit of honey and rubbed it on her gums and waited a few minutes.  I took a blood glucose reading and it was 71 after the honey went in. I made her some gravy (ferret food with warm water) and she ate very well.  After she ate she was much better - not staggering at all and walking normally.

Currently she is napping in Emma's crate where I can keep a close eye on her.  She had food and water available I will be making sure she eats on a pretty consistent basis today to be on the safe side. I have been in contact with the vet's office and they agree that being on watch is the right thing and to let them know if anything changes so we can get her scheduled for an appointment.  It's certainly not a dangerous reading of 71 - actually the 70s are good numbers for a insulinoma ferret but it is lower than where she has been.  I am hoping that this is just a blip on the radar - that she slept for too long and her sugar got too low.

We proved today that I can do a blood sugar test on my own if I have to.  She was not happy and I was very stressed but we got it done.  I will keep you posted on any developments.  Fingers crossed for an event free afternoon.  As a side note - I have ordered some liquid glucose gel which will be better for such emergencies - it should be here on Wednesday.

No comments: