A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

In General

Well, there is not much new and exciting to report at the zoo - which is not exactly a bad thing.  I like the status quo because it means everyone is happy and healthy.

The littlest critters seem like they are doing quite well.  I had a bad ferret mommy moment yesterday when I did things out of order and actually missed giving Violet a dose of her medication.  I haven't missed one since she started so it freaked me out when I realized what had happened.  Luckily it didn't seem to affect her and she was happy and active when I went to check in on her in the evening. Whew!  I still need to test her glucose levels - she requires at least 3 hours of fasting prior to the test - I will try to get it done this week as I need to order a  refill of her medication.  Kitties are doing well - Aggie loves her kidney friendly canned food.  Oliver seems to be holding his own on the weight front and Phoebe is just my go with the flow kitty.

Pig and pups are all good.  They spent a good bit of time indoors today.  We had a repair person here and there was a long period of rain so they were indoors a lot.  The puppies and Emma were quite well behaved.  Winston was too - he hates the rain so I made sure that I gave him some extra cuddles and covered him up with a soft blanket for his nap.

All in all things here are going pretty well.  Since we are east coast we are keeping an eye on Irma and making the appropriate preparations.  I stocked up on critter food today and we will ziploc and freeze extra water so we make sure that the fur children have plenty should the storm cause issues. Thankfully I don't think we will need to evacuate... I hate to think of all the critters that have been and will be impacted by the storm - no matter where it ends up going...its a doozy.  If you are anywhere in its path I hope you and your family - human and critter  - stay safe and that your lives are only minimally disrupted with Mother Nature's craziness....

No comments: