A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Headlines of the Day

Friends - Sort of...

I have deduced that Theo loves the pig but - the pig makes him frustrated and over stimulated.  I had an appointment this morning so I got all the critters out of the bedroom except for Winston and Phoebe (I am okay with the cats and the pig - they can jump to places he can't get to.  So - I headed off for my appointment and came home a couple of hours later - only to find that it was Winston, Phoebe AND Theo in the bedroom.  Oh my!  I am not sure exactly what happened while I was gone but I came home to a scratched up piglet sleeping in his bed and a slobbered on ferret sleeping on our bed and a cat who was likely none the wiser that anything happened - she could sleep through a bomb.  The good thing was that I brought the piglet downstairs and Theo followed shortly after - they played and interacted and co-existed with no aggression from either for about 45 minutes.  This is a vast improvement over the 45 seconds Theo would take to bite the pig previously.

As I watched them interact I could see Theo getting more and more frustrated and wound up.  Winston is a rough little piglet - he head butts Theo (actually all the critters) and he lays on him - both of which make Theo mad.  He can only control himself for so long before he has to release that energy and bite on the pig.  So - into time out (our bedroom) he went for a bit.  All in all - I am happy with the progress....won't be leaving them alone again any time soon - geez...

Dr. Finn treats Bug Bites - Sort of...

Dr. Finn - Medicine Ferret is on the case again.  This morning I got my standard physical - nose, ears and mouth inspected but this afternoon while I was on a conference call Finn spent a good 30 minutes or so trying to "cure" my bug bites on the tops of my feet.  He tried to swipe them away with his nose - no luck.  He tried licking them - nope.  Then he tried to scratch them off with his ferret Wolverine nails - ouch!  Once he determined that he was unsuccessful he took a nap...being a ferret doctor is tiring work.

Working at Home with Critters is Interesting...

In addition to the critter applied medical treatments described above - add to that a loud piglet, a barky dog, the occasional cat fight, wrestling ferrets, loud bangs - usually the result of the ferrets pushing bottles into the tub - all I can say is thank goodness for the mute button!

Paper - he LOVES Paper!!!

Winston is crazy for paper.  He likes sheets of paper, paper towels, toilet paper, cardboard, the insides of packages, etc.  Pretty much any kind of paper.  Don't give him important papers - he likes to destroy them by chewing on them - mmmmm yummy paper... or by racing around like a maniac piglet with the paper in his mouth.  He is a hoot...

Slacker Zookeeper Has No Pics...

I have been slacking on taking pictures here lately - not sure why really - just busy with other stuff I guess.  I do have one to share today - my handsome Oliver kitty:


I think that might be it for the headlines for this Tuesday...

No comments: