A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, September 25, 2015

A Tough Week



I have to say - this has been a pretty rough week for our little zoo.

As you know - on Monday we had to say goodbye to our sweet Harlow girl.  Our hearts are still broken and we miss her immensely.  I just got a call from the vet and her remains are back so I will be making that difficult trek to pick her up and bring her home.

On Tuesday I was moving some things around in my office and managed to step on Violet.  Stepping on a ferret can be very dangerous and even life threatening.  So - to give myself peace of mind - I scooped her up and took her to the emergency vet to get checked out.  She was fine thankfully and after 24 hours separated from her siblings for observation she is back with the gang and doing fantastic.

Yesterday evening Winston came inside from his evening playtime/potty trip with an eye that was swollen shut.  Sigh.  I don't know if he got something in it, got an insect bite...geez.  I have to say - he is a pretty tolerant pig as I got him to lay down and he let me put some eye drops in there to see if I could flush it out if it was a foreign body.  I did a cold compress and used a cotton swab to make sure the eye was all clean.  Then I gave him a Benedryl and put him to bed.  He is looking better this morning - his eye is still a tiny bit swollen but he is opening it fully and there doesn't seem to be any issues with his vision.  I will be keeping a close eye on it but I think we are on the mend.

On a positive note - Emma finished up her round of antibiotics today.  Her mouth seems much better and next week we do her liver test and hopefully her dental work....

So - needless to say - I am ready for a better critter week next week....

No comments: