A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Latest and Greatest


So here it is - Tuesday already.  My to do list is too long so I thought I would take a quick breather to write about how things are going around here.

The first bit of good news is that for the first time in days the sun is out.  This makes for more motivated humans for sure and it makes for a much happier little piglet who is incredibly tired of being cooped up inside.  He is running and rooting and generally enjoying the outdoors as I type.  Emma is happy that its not raining so she doesn't have to hide in the closet - she can do without going outside though.

The kitties seem well.  Oliver is his regular clingy self - always wanting more more more attention.  LOL! The girls, Phoebe, Zoey and Aggie seem to be great - content with their space and feeling good.

Ferrets are doing well too!  This week feels a bit tougher being without Harlow - maybe it has sunk in more?I miss that little girl more than you could possible imagine.  In an effort to keep myself distracted I have been grabbing a ferret or two and bringing them into the bedroom with me while I work.  They enjoy the change of scenery and the one on one time and I enjoy the companionship.  Today I have Theo and Violet with me, yesterday it was Fiona and Tabby in the afternoon and Kai and Madison in the morning.

Emma's mouth is in pretty good shape - she goes next week for her liver test and dental stuff.  Winston's eye seems to be back to 100% normal - not sure what he did to make it so angry but I am relieved that he is fully recovered.  Violet seems to be no worse for wear from our stepping incident.  That means that I can declaratively say that everyone is feeling good.  It's been quite some time since I could say that....

As for outdoor critters - we continue to enjoy the deer and the wild turkeys.  We have a new outdoor critter who is fascinating and a bit scary - a mama possum has visited a couple of times.  She hasn't done anything aggressive - I think she is just looking for food for her babies.  We also have a cast of slithery characters - mostly black snakes out in the fields.  We have seen some miscellaneous turtles as well - love them.  We are so lucky to have this much wildlife on display....

All in all things at the zoo are good!!

No comments: