A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

HelloBaby

So - the new outside play space is a giant hit with the kitties and the ferrets.  Everyone seems to really love the fresh air, the sunshine and the ability to go in and out as they choose.

Winston loves being able to see the kitties and the ferrets - they haven't been able to interface much because I won't let them play together for fear the pig will accidentally step on one of the ferrets. They can visit through the cage now!

My intention was that I would let them out in the mornings for a bit and then have the door closed for the bulk of the day and open it up again in the evenings.  Well - the critters have other ideas - they want it open for much longer.  They are okay with it being closed during the heat of the day but they want all morning and from about 4 in the afternoon til bedtime with it open.

While I feel like it's quite secure and it would be difficult for anyone to escape, that doesn't mean I am totally comfortable with opening the door and walking away either.  I have been keeping a pretty watchful eye on them while they are playing.  That said - with the requested increase in hours they want to be out there it poses a problem.  Enter HelloBaby....

Yes folks - its a baby monitor.  It has a screen where I can watch and hear them while the door is open.

Hello Baby - Best Video Baby Monitor Wireless with Night Vision 2.4 inch Digital

I can keep a close eye on them and still get work and chores done - its great!!  It was super easy to set up - literally plug and play.

So - there are a few things I need to do to 100% finish their play area.  First I would like to stain the connector pieces to match the rest of the structure.  Second - I would like to put another layer of cage wire around the bottom half of the structure.  This is purely preventative - in case there was a breach of some sort there would be a backup layer of wire to make sure no one escapes.  In the meantime - they are enjoying themselves and I am typing and watching Aggie nap and Theo and Kai investigate. I am so happy they love it!


No comments: