A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, June 03, 2016

Winston's Cooling Mat and the New Chair

Wow - I feel like things have been in a whirlwind around here.  I finally finished up a large, long running work deliverable - woot!  Hopefully now I can get back to a more regular routine....

I bought Winston a cooling mat for outside.  Did you know that pigs can't sweat? Overheating can be a real problem.  We usually have him play outside from about 7:30 in the morning until 11:30 or noon and then he comes in and naps for the heat of the day and then heads back out around 3:30 and plays til 7 or 7:30.  He has access to lots of water and shade but I still worry he will get too hot.  This mat is pressure activated and supposedly cools to 7 to 10 degrees below whatever the ambient temperature is.  The gel inside is non toxic so if he uses his pokey hooves to make holes it should be okay.  I had him check it out yesterday before he came in for dinner - he seemed to like it - laid on it for about 45 minutes....today he has been on and off all day - I think it does make him cooler.  I got it on Amazon for $39 - not too bad....




I was correct in my assumption that the kitties would love the new chair in my office.  They basically live on it now - silly cats.  The ferrets like it too - but mostly when I am in it - they climb up for snuggles - love that!



No comments: