A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Funky Bug

I have a soft spot for bugs - well most bugs - not really ticks or ants - but everyone else gets a pass.  I am not a squisher - I will scoop them up in a cup or on a piece of paper and take them outside.  I like to rescue them from the pool - they are my friends for the most part.

This morning I was on my way to get a tea and I stopped at the mailbox - there was the most curious bug on the door....  It looked like a head of cauliflower.  I googled and after a bit of the process of elimination I am pretty sure that this was the larvae of a lacewing.  If I am right its a good thing because lacewings eat lots of other bugs - up to 200 soft bodied bugs each day - go on with your bad self!!

Here is the professional headshot of a lacewing larvae:


And the not nearly so exciting pictures of the little guy on my mailbox:




I would be happy if there were lots of these guys around because this summer has been very buggy so far!!

No comments: