A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, October 30, 2017

October Review

Wow - October has not been a great blogging month.  It has been a crazy busy month for the humans and a great month for the critters but not a great month for capturing things on the blog.

We had human birthday celebrations, houseguests, dinner parties, work commitments, business trips - it's exhausting just thinking about it.

So - lets review....

First - the ferrets - Violet continues to do fantastic on her medication and she is a happy and active ferret.  She is due for a glucose test - maybe we will schedule that for this coming weekend.  Madison had her annual exam, bloodwork, and adrenal implant replacement.  She is super healthy and shows no symptoms of the adrenal disease.  The other two girls - Fiona and Tabitha are both doing just great.  My little boys are as wild as ever - Theo, Bash, and Kai are all ornery, active and going strong.  There are no complaints in the ferret department...  :)

Next, the kitties - they are doing well.  Oliver is holding his weight and seems to be feeling quite good.  Aggie is going strong with no issues to report.  For the most part, Phoebe has had a good month with the exception of the last couple of days.  She has had a bit of a decrease in activity the last couple of days.  I suspect it is allergies - as I have been suffering as well.  Her eyes are a bit goopy and you can tell she isn't feeling 100%.  She is, however, eating, drinking and going potty.  She has not lost weight and she does not appear to be dehydrated.  I have been hand feeding her so I can keep track of what she is taking in.  I have also been supplementing her water intake by syringe just to be sure she is getting enough and I have offered up colloidal silver several times.  Sometimes she takes me up on the offer and sometimes not - I let her decide.  I am keeping a close eye on her - I am feeling like she is improving - Saturday wasn't a great day but today she was out and about, she went outside for a bit.  I will make an appointment if she backslides or if this lingers for too long.

Emma - she is doing well - I have noticed she has been much more social lately.  She did great with houseguests and has been spending lots of time hanging out with her humans and the puppies. Speaking of the puppies - oh good lord those three are wild!!  I am not sure how they can go from crazed critters to perfect little angels in the span of a few minutes but they do.  They did well with lots of people around and are generally very well behaved when we entertain.  When its just me trying to deal with them during the day - oh my - they are giant turds.  I adore them though.  I have been neglecting their training terribly - hopefully, we can get back to a routine soon....

Winston the piglet is doing great.  He is happy and healthy and very happy that houseguests have come and gone.  Pigs do love their routine.  For the most part, his behavior has been pretty darn good - he is developing a bad habit of pushing on the door when he wants attention - we are working on re-establishing the rules related to that.  Pigs love to test the boundaries.

All in all - its been a good month.  I can't believe we are heading into the holiday season already...cripes!

Tomorrow is Halloween - Winston was very cooperative tonight when we did pictures.  Not sure how it will go tomorrow for the puppies - not making any promises.  Wish me luck getting some usable pics of them in their costumes....

No comments: