A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Two Kitty Vet Visit

Yesterday morning Oliver and Aggie went back to the vet for their blood work rechecks.  Aggie had some elevated numbers related to her kidneys and Oliver's thyroid numbers were whacky.  I don't have any pictures of my two cutie cats because I did the handy drop off appointment where I take them in and then I go and do 14 other things while they work them into the schedule and then I swoop back in and pick them up.  Works great - yesterday I went to the eye dr to get my glasses fixed, went to the bank, hit Starbucks and then a quick run to Costo - then home before my first conference call started - woot!

They sent the blood work out to the lab so I had to wait for the results - I just got an email from the vet and the news is all good.  Aggie's numbers were better. Her BUN number was still a bit higher than it should be but the classic markers that indicate kidney disease were within normal range. Thank goodness!  Aggie is 18 years old so I was concerned - I am quite relieved!  She is, however, on the high side of normal so we will put her on the same 6 month schedule that Oliver and Phoebe are on and we will keep a close eye on this so we can quickly intervene with treatment should something develop.  The other good news - my little pudge lost 3/4 of a pound since last weigh in.  She is still a bit heavier than she should be but now in a range that is not risky to her health.

Oliver's results were good as well - his thyroid levels were back to normal so we have the disease back under control.  Additionally - my skinny mini gained almost a pound since his last weigh in which is great - he was very, very skinny!!  So - there is still one area of concern which is his teeth - they are a mess.  The good news is that the gum inflammation seems to be gone from the round of antibiotics he took.  He desperately needs a deep cleaning and potentially other dental work but I think he is still on the thin side and I don't want to put him under anesthesia.  So - I think the plan is to continue to try to pack on the pounds for him over the holidays and after the first of the year if his weight makes it safe we can take him in for dental work.  Phoebe also needs her teeth cleaned so we will take her in as well.

All in all I am quite pleased - we are good to go on kitty health for the time being.   Next week - Violet (ferret) goes in for a glucose test to make sure she is on the right dose of pred - fingers crossed her results are as good!!!


No comments: