A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Furless Mom to Furry Kids


Happy Mother's Day!  I am not an official mom to a human child - that is just not in the cards for me but I am a mom to my fur kids.  People who don't have pets or who don't think of their pets as their babies just don't understand this.


I would imagine that in many ways it's like having a human child - you teach them the behaviors you want them to have, you worry when they are sick, you celebrate their milestones and accomplishments and you try to ensure that they are happy and healthy at all times.

I often think of my critter's critter moms - and thank them for giving me this amazing bunch of babies.

We got to meet both of the parents of the puppies - they have a wonderful life with a family that takes amazing care of them.  We knew Emma's mom as well - she has passed but she was a wonderful dog. We met Winston's mom when we adopted him.  Here she is.... my guess is she is still around as she was a fairly young pig and Winston is just shy of three years old.  I hope she is happy and healthy...


As for the kitties - we met Aggie's mom when she was a kitten, same with Phoebe's mom when we adopted her - my guess is that both of them have likely passed.  Aggie is 18 this year and Phoebe's mom was 6 or 7 when she had Phoebe and her litter mates and she will be 13 this year.  No idea about Ollie's mom as my sweet boy was a stray....

And the ferrets - all of them are Marshall ferrets - their mom's have a short breeding cycle and then are put up for adoption.  Given Madison, Violet and Theo's age - their mom's might not be around any longer.  The lifespan of a ferret is just way too short.  Kai and Tabby's mom would be getting up there and Bash and Fiona's mom would likely be 4 or 5.  I hope they have wonderful families and are happy critters.  I am forever grateful as these critter mom's made my babies who bring me such an abundance of happiness.

No comments: