A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, October 04, 2013

New Pet Products

I like to keep products on hand for those just in case times you inevitably run into with having critters.  For instance - I like to make sure we have honey on hand in case one of the ferrets gets wheezy as it acts as a natural antihistamine (please note my disclaimer of being careful not to give to much or to often as it can contribute to ferret insulinoma).

With Finn having an upset tummy and then Aggie having her day of not feeling well I used quite a bit of probiotic lately.  It seems to work quite well.  I have feline probiotic on hand which is what I have been using for both the cats and the ferrets.  I was getting low so I ordered a new type of probiotics that can be used for both dogs and cats.

Emma's usually extremely sensitive tummy has been perfect for the last few months so nothing for her unless that changes - but for the kitties I may give this a try.  I will post my results after I see how this works.

I also got some specific probiotics for ferrets.  They have much more frequent issues due to the fast nature of their metabolism so I thought having this on hand would be helpful.  Should Nigel have digestive tract distress I could use this for him as well - but in the almost 3 years we have had him - he has never had distress.


The last new product I wanted to have on hand was something called Ferret-Aide.  It's basically like Gatorade for humans - an electrolyte replacement and hydration solution.  If your ferret has the runs or is throwing up - this would be a good thing to have on hand as they can get dehydrated so quickly.

As I use these I will post about how I think they work.  Hoping they will be super effective at making my furries feel better when they need it.

No comments: