A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

An Awesome Tuesday!!

Today was really a great critter day!  Here's the updates....

So - our days have a bit of a new normal with Harlow's feeding schedule and with precautions we take to ensure that we do not share germs just in case she is contagious or on the off chance that the other ferrets have something that she could pick up now that she is on an immunosuppressant.

  • Early morning starts around 5:30 or 6:00 with a feeding for little Miss.  She gets her warm gravy with the addition of a high calorie supplement/vitamin paste.  Then when I leave her I strip of clothes and put them downstairs so the other ferrets can't access and get into the shower.  Once I am squeaky clean I spend the early morning playing with the ferrets and Phoebe and Oliver who tend to hang out in our bedroom.  At 7:00 Winston gets fed and then he and Emma go outside to go potty.

  • Around 8:00 Harlow gets another feeding and her medication.  Kitties get ear medication, boxes get scooped, water stations get checked, cleaned filled, etc, and same with food stations.  Usually if its not raining I put Winston out on the deck with his ball - its cooler in the mornings and the sun is on the other side of the house.  He plays out there for hours.

  • At 10:00 another feeding for Harlow along with some play time if she is up for it.  I have been working in her room to spend more time with her and be there if she needs anything.  I think she likes the one on one time and today she spent a good bit of time curled up on the couch with me while I worked.  We do another feeding around noon.  

  • In the afternoon when Harlow seems to have her best sleep I change her feedings from 2 hours to 3. She gets a 3 pm, 5 pm, 8 pm and 11 pm feeding.  I hadn't been getting up in the night to feed her but given the weight challenges we are having I think I will for the next few days at least.  Around 3 I also take Winston and Emma out for a potty break.
  • Harlow gets her meds in her 8 pm feeding and then I do the whole shower and disinfect process so I can play with the other ferrets.  It's interesting - I see the other ferrets during the day but haven't been picking them up and loving on them - its too hard to disinfect every time I go in and out.  
Harlow had such a great day today - she was feeling frisky and eating well - we gained back some of what she lost yesterday and are back to where we were.  Still working on getting more weight on her.... Emma had a mid day walk with me - no evening walk as the humans went to the gym instead.  Winston has gotten over his naughty phase and has been the perfect piglet for the last few days.  Loving that. Kitties are all well.  All in all - it was a lovely critter day!  Hoping tomorrow is more of the same!

Here are some random snaps from the last couple of days:

Tabby

Tabby

Madison

Winston and Emma - looking over the upstairs banister

Winston with his dirty from playing outside face

Emma

Ollie

Zoey

Phoebe

Fiona

Fiona doing her meerkat impression

Kai

Add caption

Tabby

Theo

Theo

Theo

No comments: