A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, July 25, 2016

Monday Morning Relief

I am happy to report that all is right in the zoo world this morning.  After a day filled with worry yesterday with the pig not feeling well and a night filled with worry about the baby birds and the fact that their mommy hadn't been around for several hours - I am so glad that everyone seems just fine.

Piglet was up bright and early this morning asking for cookies.  Yesterday that was the first indication he wasn't feeling well - he didn't ask for any cookies at all.  I put him back on pellets today but only half his regular amount.  I will let that set for a bit and then give him some more mid day - I don't want to introduce too fast as he did not have anything but fruit and baby food yesterday.  He is active, grazing and seemingly happy this morning.  I am so glad he is feeling better!

As for mommy bird Lauren - I have no idea where she was last night.  I watched for her on the security camera we have on the porch until 12:30 and never saw her.  I woke up at 4 am - still no mommy.  Thankfully at about 7:30 this morning she hopped down the walk and got in her nest to feed the little ones.  I am so relieved.  I thought for sure I was going to have to call the wildlife rehabber this morning and take the babies in to be cared for.  I have seen her twice more this morning - she is actively going for food and bringing it back to the babies!  We did a project in the front yard yesterday that involved hammering and drilling - I am wondering if it upset her and that is why she was absent for so long?  I am going to try to steer clear of the front area today - I will go in and out the garage so she can get comfortable again.  I did water the plant they live in this morning - I want it to stay green and full to help conceal the nest.  Don't worry - I will have the camera app on my phone on all day keeping an eye out.

Being a zookeeper is a hard and worrisome job some days - but it's so worth it.

I am off to feed kitties and ferrets, give the kitties their meds and clean up critter land.  Have a great Monday!

No comments: