A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, June 03, 2011

Who Knew?? Training Tips for Critters

Okay - evidently you can train critters - other than the dog to do tricks....who knew:

So far the only thing I have seen on hedgehogs is litter training - not sure why but my guy came litter trained.  All I did was put the box in his cage and he uses it religiously.

As for ferrets - supposedly you can teach them sit, beg, shake, lay down and roll over.  You can also teach them to sit on your shoulder - not exactly sure of the purpose of that.  You can teach them to come when called - Clooney is pretty good about this one - I would say probably 85% of the time he does show up when you call him.  I think the other times he is in such a deep sleep he doesn't hear me calling.

Cats - I don't believe these people but they say you can train them to sit, shake, give me 5, high 5, beg and wave.  Obviously these people have never met my kitties.

And then Emma - she knows sit, shake, shake with the other paw, lay down, speak and the one where you balance the treat on her nose and then make her flip it off to catch it.  The entertaining thing is she does all of these in rapid succession before you ever ask.  She could do so many more tricks if I would take the time - she is a smart girl.

So - I thought maybe I would experiment with my guys over the next few weeks and report back with my findings.....

No comments: