A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, December 17, 2012

A Weekend of Worry

Oh boy - what a weekend....  While there was lots of fun holiday stuff happening in the back of my mind was a whole pile of worry about my littlest critter - Mr Nigel Hedgehog.  I noticed on Friday a very subtle difference in his gate.  I am thinking most people would not have even noticed such a thing or paid attention if they did notice but it worried me.  I am a worrier when it comes to my furries....

I did some research and the cause of such a thing COULD be one of three things.  At least I think its these three things I have narrowed it down to after endless googling and reading.  1.  Pulled muscle or strain/sprain of a muscle.  Hedgies have funky muscles you know - the kind that let you roll up in a ball.  It's possible that when he was playing downstairs, running on his wheel, fending off other critters - etc - that he moved wrong and pulled something.  This would be the best of the three options.  2.  This sounds kinda scary but don't be alarmed....he could have had a stroke.  Or 3.  He could have WHS - Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome - a degenerative disease found in about 10% of hedgehogs - very similar to MS in humans.  This would be the worst of the three.

On Friday when he was standing or walking/running he would be up much higher on his right side set of limbs than his left.  He was listing to one side.  He has not run on his wheel in several days which also has me worried.  On Saturday he spent much time in the master bathroom - wandering around under my watchful eye.  Saturday his gait seemed much like Friday.

Last night I got him out and let him run around and I thought he seemed a bit better.  Today - I believe he is better still.  Over the course of these worrisome days he has been bright, happy, eating, drinking, active, interactive - pretty much 100% other than this minor thing.  I am leaning more towards this being a muscular thing.  If it was a stroke - from all that I read it seems as though there is a fairly good recovery back to normal in some cases.  If it is WHS - then this would be the start of a long slow decline for him.

I did not vet him - the reason being - there isn't anything they can do for any of the 3 conditions.  I am watching him closely and will take him in if anything worsens or if other symptoms crop up.  In the meantime - I have started the massage and physical therapy I read about for WHS hedgies.  If nothing else - Nigel absolutely loves it and if he has a pulled muscle it should help.

If it does turn out to be WHS - my little guy will have the best care I can provide him for as long as he is a happy and content hedgehog regardless of his level of mobility.  I will do everything in my power to make sure his life is as happy as it can be.  I will post any updates once they occur...think happy hedgehog thoughts for my little dude - just in case.

No comments: