A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, June 19, 2015

Status Updates

I am back with my furries after a long, exhausting but very successful week.

Harlow is doing exceptionally well.  She is gaining weight, eating dry food on her own, drinking from her water bowl and is quite active.  At the advice of the vet who cared for her while I was gone - they suggested that we keep her in a cage until we get her weight to where we want it.  When she has free run of a large area her food becomes an after thought but when she is in a more confined spot she seems to eat on her own much more regularly.  I set up Clooney/Nigel's old cage downstairs for her.  She has 4 sleeping spots to choose from, toys, tunnels, etc - its quite the hangout.  This weekend will be about finding a new normal.  Since she is eating on her own she likely doesn't need as much food via the syringe and she likely doesn't need it quite as often.  Today I have only given her about 75 ccs vs the 140 I usually do.  I am hopeful that we can move into more of a supportive feeding role - just supplementing what she eats with the syringe three or four times a day.  If this is successful then I can maybe go all night without a feeding which would be great.  So happy that she did so well while I was gone and so happy to be with her again.

Winston is great - full of piss and vinegar.  He got a great bill of health from the vet in his boarding exam and he got lots of outside time while he boarded.  I think he had fun but I also think he is happy to be home.  I know I am happy to have him home.

Emma did great with her boarding as well - she is always happy to come home though.  She is not thrilled with the afternoon thunder boomers we have been having.  Her health seems great - we are having extremely hot weather though so I need to take her into the groomers to get shaved again so she will be cooler.

Hubs did a great job caring for the other ferrets and the kitties.  Everyone seems happy and healthy.
I am hoping to have a low key weekend, not doing much and catching up on some much needed rest....

No comments: