A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Thursday, May 12, 2016

General Updates

Things here are good - crazy but good.  As I type this its raining.  It's thundering so the dog has taken up residency in the hubs' closet.  I let Winston in our room for some cuddles - he didn't want me - he wanted to go in the closet with the dog.  He hates it when she is upset.  Ever since he was a piglet he has hated when she is upset.  Here is an old pic from 2014 when Winston was just a few months old:


Anyway - they are in the closet together - Emma crammed into a corner as deep into the closet as she can get and Winston happily snoozing in the laundry pile.






The new critter area flooring was delivered today.  It has to live here for at least 72 hours to get used to our "climate".  They come next week to do the installation.  Slow progress but progress none the less.









A couple of days ago I posted about Winston and how he can be a big pink turd with guests.  Hubs says he is mean - I disagree.  I think I have empirical evidence that shows that Winston is very in tune with the fear and apprehension that people feel when they are around him.  He is a somewhat intimidating critter and he knows it.  One of the guys who does work in the yard was raised around pigs and is totally comfortable around Winston.  He is not intimidated by him and for the most part he just ignores him and goes about his business.  The other day the guy and I were talking in the yard.  Winston came running over to him, rubbed on his leg like a cat and proceeded to flop on his side and request  belly rubs.  When belly rubs happened there were all sorts of happy little oinks and squeaks.  Amazing difference in Winston's behavior.  The old saying - they can smell fear - it just might be true.

The little ones - they are doing just great!  The kitties are mad at me - I ran out of canned cat food so they are on the verge of death because they never get a meal - whatever - drama queens!!!  I gave each of them a pile of kitty treats as a peace offering - seemed to work.  The weasels are all doing just fine - they were all full of energy this evening when I went down to do nightly chores and check in on everyone.

We have added a new outdoor critter to the list of residents.  Chipmunks - they are SO cute!!

Vet visit had to be rescheduled - he's coming to visit Winston and the weasels on the 25th....

I think that might catch us up....

No comments: