A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Prepping for the Vet

So - we are getting ready for our vet visit tomorrow morning.  Prep looks something like this:

1.  collect poop samples - I am doing pretty well on this - only Violet is being incooperative....I hope I can get a sample before her exam in the morning or she will get an unfriendly poke in the rump.
2.  clean up the critters - I was going to give Winston a shower but it hasn't been very long since his last one and his skin gets so dry so I opted for cleaning up his handsome face.  He was quite well behaved while I washed his snout, cheeks, eyes, etc with a warm washcloth.  I turned on the shower for the ferrets and let them play - they had lots of fun!
3.  hooves and nails - Winston's hooves are actually in pretty good shape so not much needed there.  The ferrets all need a nail trim - that might be a morning task if I have time before the vet arrives.

I always get a bit nervous before vet visits....the whole what if scenarios run through my mind.  I am hopeful for a clean bill of health for all the weasels and the piglet.

My questions for the vet - so I won't forget them in the morning....

Winston:

  • Tusks - what to use to file them and how short
  • Have on hand - I have PCN what else should I keep in stock
  • How to give a pig an injection
  • Ticks - they love him - geranium oil helps - anything else I should be doing?
Theo:
  • First morning output is not great
  • Use of Vetasyl
Kai:
  • Choking episode
  • Litter mate of Harlow - anything to watch for?  Same question for Tabby
Violet:


  • Litter mate of Finn. Could there be the same congenital issue?
Bash:
  • Had kidney stone - no issues since - should we be watching?  Doing anything different

No comments: