A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Month in Review

January just flew by - holy moly!

It's been a very busy month both for critters and for humans.  All in all - it has been a pretty good month I will say.

Health Updates:

Violet continues to thrive.  Her glucose number was lower - 56 at her latest check which is not great. The vet made an adjustment to her prednisone so we will see how she is doing on 2/13.  I can say with pretty great certainty that she feels fantastic.  She is very active and happy - I am pleased with how she is doing and she is quite the trooper about taking her meds.

The puppies saw the vet this month as well - they got their last set of puppy shots and their first rabies vaccination.  They are very healthy pups - growing like weeds and doing great.  Its amazing how much they have changed over the last month.

Oliver is on a high calorie supplement to try to pack some pounds on him.  His appetite is great but with his thyroid condition keeping the weight on is tricky.  Oh to have this problem....

Winston is doing well - he is so great about maintenance.... today he let me trim his hooves with fingernail clippers.  I filed a bit on his back hooves but his dew claws were long - so he let me snip them off.  He is so good about that stuff.  I am lucky - there are many folks who have piggies who require sedation to get ears cleaned, hooves done, etc.  I have also been handling his tusks every day - scraping, pulling, wiggling.... I am waiting for the gigli wire to arrive and we will see if he will let me trim them - I think yes - it may take some time but we will get there I think....

We celebrated birthdays (Violet & Theo), we played in the snow (puppy's first snow), we tried to make some progress on leash training - that is slow going and we fought through some allergies - which is just a funky thing to say in January.

In general - the kitties are doing well.  I will continue to work on putting some weight on Oliver - perhaps some weight gain wet food for him.  The ferrets are just great - they are happy and active and they seem to be engaged and playful.  Emma continues to enjoy having puppies in her world - she is incredibly active these days.

I am pleased with the current state of the zoo.  Here is to a happy and healthy February....

No comments: