A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Seasonal Allergies - in January?!?!?

This weather is wonky - 12 or 70 - really?  As a result we have stuff in the air that typically wouldn't be and as a result the humans and the critters are suffering from allergies.  I have 4 critters that are impacted by allergies - Winston, Theo, Oliver and Phoebe.  They all manifest their symptoms in a different way.

Winston and Oliver are both affected in their eyes.  Poor piggers has a red swollen eye that is itching him like crazy.  Last night we did a good cleaning with a warm washcloth and qtips.  I flushed his eye out with colloidal silver and then gave him a Benedryl.  This morning his eye was much improved.  I cleaned it again and flushed it out once he came inside this morning and he is napping now.  I think we are on the road to getting it back to normal.  It's definitely something in the air - I have had to use my allergy drops for the last few days.  UGH!

Phoebe shows her allergies with a case of what is called button lip.  Her bottom lip swells up - poor girl.  I noticed it a bit inflamed yesterday.  She got colloidal silver on it topically and I put some in their water bowl - this morning it was back to normal.

Theo is my sneezer.  He hasn't been particularly bad this go around - maybe whatever has the rest of us going isn't on his list of things he is allergic to - lucky boy!

As always - I will keep a close eye on all of them to make sure they don't need to be seen by a vet.  In addition - my standard disclaimer - I am not a vet and the treatments I use for my animals should not be taken as advice.  Please check with your vet before starting any kind of treatment for any ailment.


No comments: