A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Saturday, April 15, 2017

General Updates

Well first of all - April the Giraffe had her baby finally and (s)he was so worth the wait.  If you haven't been following or you haven't checked out the new baby you should definitely take a peek! Thank goodness for mobile technology.  I got to see the birth when it happened and I have kept tabs on mom and baby while standing in line at Costco, the bakery and the grocery store.

As for my critters - everyone is doing just great.  Pups and pig spent the morning outside soaking up the gorgeous sunshine.  The puppies are active and happy and they have worn themselves out and are now snoozing in various parts of the living room.  Winston has gone in his room to take a nap in his fabulous paper bed.  Emma is snoozing on our bed - the canine/porcine part of the zoo seems pretty content.  There is only one thing that has me a bit worried.  I think Tango has developed a hernia at his incision site where he was neutered.  It's small - maybe the size of a jelly bean.  It's not hard, warm or leaking any kind of fluid - its just a little bulge.  It does not bother him at all and it is relatively new as it was not there on Wednesday when he got groomed.  I noticed it this morning.  I will be keeping a close eye on it - I will call the vet on Monday morning if it stays like it is - if for some reason it changes (gets bigger, gets harder or appears to be infected) I will take him to the emergency vet.  I am hoping its not a huge deal and really hoping it doesn't mean another surgery....

Down in critter land - kitties and ferrets are all doing great.  The door to the outside playspace is wide open and there has been a steady stream in and out this morning.  Violet and the kitties have had their meds and all is well at that end of the house.

Tomorrow is Easter and I am putting finishing touches on the critter Easter baskets.  The pups will get a treat and a couple of new toys, the pig will get a treat and a serving of fruit salad and the kitties and ferrets will get a combo basket full of toys that they can share.  They will also get treats - ferrets will get ferretone and chew sticks and kitties will get cat treats.  We are hosting an Easter brunch so I better quit typing and start prepping.....

Here are a few more pup pics from my phone - I will work on little critter snaps this week:

Spring has sprung for sure - lots of blooms

Juliett

Tango

Charli

Juliett

Juliett

Juliett likes to sleep in the bushes

Tango and Charli prefer sleeping on the patio

Emma is the smart one - she naps on our bed

No comments: