A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Saturday, March 09, 2013

How Much Can You Do In An Hour?

Lack of motivation has abounded around here this week so I have tried to challenge myself to "what can you do in an hour"?  It's worked surprisingly well and I can actually get a lot done in an hour if I get my butt in gear.  I had a long list of critter chores looming so I spent a hour specifically dedicated to them.  Here's what I can do in an hour:


  • Wake up the littlest boy - Mr. Nigel Hedgehog.  Put him in the shower to play...he runs around in the water and his feet get all clean.
  • While he is playing I cleared out his cage, put his blankets and rugs in the laundry,  empty his litter and put his wheel in the tub to soak.
  • Then into the shower with the little dude spraying him off while he plays and giving his quills a good rinse.  Then on to his favorite part -spraying off his belly.  Then we are done and into a warm towel straight from the dryer.  He loves that.  He's not spoiled.
  • Nigel goes onto the bed for a rest and Emma gets her turn.  She so hates a bath but it has to be done to save our noses.  She gets shampooed and rinsed and then we stand in the shower until she shakes off.
  • Then we dry...she loves that.  On with her collar and a new clean scarf... red this time.
  • Then rinse the shower, scrub the wheel and clean the tub
  • Put everything back in Nigel's cage
  • Scoop the cat boxes
  • Fill up the feeders and water
  • Administer treats
  • Give the ferrets their ferretone
  • Straighten Clooney's blankets
And that's what critter stuff I can do in an hour...

No comments: