A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, June 20, 2014

Violet's Not So Excellent Adventure

You may have seen my post on Facebook earlier today.  For the first time in 6 years of having ferrets one of them got out.  Violet made it outside this morning without me knowing and it was only because of Oliver looking out the storm door with such intensity that I found her.

Once I got her back inside I decided it was important to confine her to the traveling pen for a bit to make sure she was okay.  She was quite warm when I picked her up so the first thing we did was get a drink.  She loves to drink out of my cup which today was a good thing because it gave me an opportunity to monitor how much she was taking in.  I offered her some food in the pen which she made quick work of.  Finally she settled down to take a nap.  I kept her in the pen for about 5 hours - I figured that was adequate since ferret metabolisms are so fast if she ingested anything bad when she was outside she should show symptoms within that amount of time.

I woke her from her nap around 3 this afternoon and she got another drink - I am pretty sure she is not dehydrated - gums are nice and pink and her skin retracts quickly when I scruff her.  She went potty and that all seemed normal so I released her from her prison and she quickly went upstairs to find Madison and take a nap.  I think she must have been pretty tuckered out because I haven't seen her since.  I am hoping she will come out for a visit here shortly.  Finn just got up for his evening romp and she is usually not far behind.

It goes without saying that I am so fortunate that she stayed close by and that she is okay.  Thinking about what could have happened ties my stomach in knots.  I think her adventure scared her as well because she has been much more tolerant of being held and loved on today than she normally is.  So glad all my little weasels are safe and sound this evening....


No comments: