A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Ammonia Spike

It's all coming back to me now - the trials and tribulations of having a fish tank.  Its quite a lot of pressure actually - if you screw it up too badly then you have little fish deaths on your conscience - which really stinks.

When I got home from our morning walk I fed the fishes and proceeded to test their water.  Wowser - the ammonia was high!!  This prompted a pretty healthy water change, a thorough vacuuming of the gravel, changing the filter and turning up the aeration.  That seemed to work as ll the numbers are back to normal tonight - thank goodness.

I was very conservative when I fed them tonight - no excess to drive up the numbers again.  The fish all seem to be doing great - they are active and seem to be settled in.  SteveIrwin has gotten over his need to bully the new roomies.  I am glad he is not chasing poor BettyWhite all over the place any longer.  They all seem to be getting along quite well.

Tomorrow morning I will test again to make sure everything is okay...

No comments: