A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, June 27, 2014

Clooney and Theo Report

Wow - what a crazy day today - when we last updated Clooney's PCV was around 28% I think.  I stopped by the hospital around 1 to see him and he looked awful - you could tell he felt horrible but - the promising thing was his breathing was still good - not labored.

Around 4:30 we got a call from the hospital letting us know that the PCV numbers had fallen to 20% and Clooney's heart rate had increased so they were going to use Theo as a blood donor and give Clooney a transfusion.  Breathing was still holding....

Around 6:30 we arrived at the hospital to check in on both boys.  Clooney looked 1000% better.  He had been getting Theo's blood for about and hour and fifteen minutes and the difference in him was remarkable.  Theo was waking up from his sedation and just wanted to be held by his dad.

Here's what the doctors are thinking:

  • The bleeding has either stopped completely or slowed significantly since its been about 18 hours since the last time they took fluid out of the chest cavity.
  • The transfusion was doing him a world of good - his PVC values were on the rise
  • He is still getting fluids in addition to the blood but if all goes well he MAY get to come home tomorrow or Sunday!!!
Clooney went from being a snoozy weasel to showing some signs of spunk - scratching at his blankets and biting at his IV trying to get it out of his arm.  He should be finishing up with the transfusion about now and then we will move to monitoring and see if his PCV values hold.

As for my Theo - I am not sure how to explain my feelings...I adored him and the other zoo critters from the day I got each of them.  But - the fact that he saved my Clooney makes me love him that much more.  He is my little hero.  He is laying draped over his dad's lap snoozing after having a bite to eat and a drink - he is still a little groggy....

As for the others - Finn is so excited that Theo is home he is laying right next to him and hasn't left his side since he walked in the door.  The girls are playing somewhere - I can hear them.  The kitties are all hanging out and the fishes have been fed and put to bed.  Miss Em is enjoying a bone and relaxing.  Things are starting to feel "right" with the zoo again....

And the humans - I think we have gone from feeling like the weight of a Mack truck has been lifted off our hearts and our guts but also feeling like that same truck has run us over.  I think we are both exhausted and so relieved that we might be moving into recovery phase instead of that terrible wait and see mode.  I am not sure I am willing to believe we are totally out of the woods yet and there still could be complications but I am feeling far more optimistic tonight than I have been since this whole ordeal started.  Stay tuned....

No comments: