A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Clooney- February 12, 2008 - July 27, 2014

We are heavy hearted here this morning - in the early morning hours we lost our sweet Clooney.  I think the last month of healing from the injury, the fight to get him on the right medications, stabilizing his blood sugar, not eating his regular diet, symptoms from the insulinoma, etc just wore out his little ferret body.

Clooney passed away at home, in the arms of his parents, surrounded by this critter siblings.  For this I am grateful - he was not in a hospital with strangers.  I am also grateful that my little man is no longer suffering - this past month has been so hard on him that I am thankful he is resting now.  He put up a gallant fight and there were several times I thought he might be okay - but with every step forward we experienced another set back.  I know he must have been exhausted.

I miss him desperately already - he was my first ferret - the one I learned from.  He taught me so patiently and he made me fall in love with ferrets as pets.  When he was still not a fan of the babies I tried to explain to him that it was his own fault - if he had not been so perfect we would have never gotten more.  I am so happy that Clooney was able to experience ferret affection and that he and Theo were good friends for the last few months - they loved each other very much.

So - to my boy - a thank you - for 6 and a half years of laughter and joy.  For ferret kisses and cuddles.  For endless love and patience while I learned the ways of ferret keeping.  I love you more than you could ever know.  Have joyous times at the Rainbow Bridge with Isabel and Nigel and kiss them for me.

Here is a video of my little squirt - taken in 2011:




...and some shots of my guy - hard to choose - I literally have hundreds of him:





No comments: