A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, July 18, 2014

Week in Review

We made it to Friday - yipee!!  This has been an incredibly stressful week for the humans - part of that stress attributed to my sweet Clooney and his setback but mostly related to non critter stuff.

Monday Clooney was seen by the vet because of side effects from his medication.  We put him on some new stuff and things slowly started to improve.  He was confined to his bachelor pad so he could get lots of rest and I could keep track of food and water intake and what was coming out the other side.

Tuesday we saw continued improvements - still a bit nauseous and not all that interested in food.  We made progress on syringe feeding - it took us a bit to get used to how things should work.  We are old pros now. Theo and Finn were allowed to hang out with Clooney - that made all three of them happier.

Wednesday Clooney was released from the pen and allowed to stay in the master bathroom so he had some space to run around.  I think he liked the upgrade - we still had some work to do.  Nurse Violet slept most of the day right next to the gate I put up to keep Clooney in - she is so sweet and so concerned about anoy critter that doesn't feel good.  We also experienced a Nitrate spike in the fish tank so we did a water change.  SteveIrwin and Cousteau seem no worse for the wear.

Thursday Clooney was doing better yet.  Still not great on the back end and not all that interested in food. My theory was that if you put mostly liquid into the front end its tough to get something solid out of the back end.  I decided to try Vetasyl - a fiber product made for citters.  I put some in his food and voila - major improvements!  So happy it worked!  Another water change required for the fishies....sigh.



That brings us to today.  Outputs are looking good!  He is still not all that interested in his regular food so I gave him some breakfast to get something in his tummy.  Later this morning I will mix his meds into his food and give him some more.  I think we are both kind of enjoying the feedings - I know that sounds strange but if you could see his little face while I feed him you would totally get it.  Since things are better on the back end I decided to increase his area of freedom again so now he has free run of the master bath and the master bedroom.  I need to be able to find him for feedings and for meds so I am not turning him loose in the whole house just yet.  Maybe next week!  Need to check on fish water quality this morning although both boys were okay when I turned on their light and fed them.

Kitties are doing fabulous - they have been pretty easy on me this week and I needed it!  Emma is well - she is sad that we are missing out on our morning walks - maybe next week we can get back into a rhythm.

Hope you had a good week - Happy Friday!!


No comments: