A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Last of the Tasks

There are a surprising number of things you need to take care of when you lose a furry critter.  I have slowly been working through that list - its been tough because there is a lot of emotion involved.

Today I decided I must finish the last two things - ordering the urn and filing the last insurance claim. Both of these feel so final and so sad.

For the urn - I decided that at the end of their lives I will want all of the ferrets to be together - I think they would want that too - so I found an artist who will do a hand painted urn with all five ferrets painted on there.  We will make a base so we can have engraved metal plates added with the names and dates when the time comes.  I gathered up the pictures that the artist needed to get started - it will take her four to five weeks.  I can't wait to see it.

I also gathered all of the paperwork, filled out the claim form and faxed it off to the insurance today. Sigh...

I think the only thing left to do now is finish the last load of critter laundry of blankets and beds and my list will be complete.  Each day it gets a little easier - although tonight it was strange to call the ferrets and only say four names.  They all came out promptly - which Clooney never would have done - he would have said "talk to the paw - I am sleeping".  :)

No comments: