Tuesday, July 01, 2014
Pet Safety on the Fourth of July
Here are some of the precautions we take during the holiday week.
1. Upstairs and downstairs fire extinguishers - we keep them at the ready because I would not be surprised if the crazy fireworks people caught our house or others on fire. People just are not careful.
2. ThunderShirt - Emma pretty much lives in her shirt for the entire week.
3. Upstairs and downstairs hiding spots - Emma will be under the bed if we are upstairs but if we are downstairs she wants to be with us so we set up a "fort" in the laundry room using a clothes line and a comforter. She appreciates a place to hide.
4. Monitor her food and water intake - make sure she is eating and drinking - sometimes she won't want to if she is upset.
5. More frequent potty trips - all the stress often causes tummy upset - so I take her out more frequently to prevent accidents in the house.
6. Sticking close to home - we try not to make a ton of plans and we most definitely don't take her to places where there will be fireworks.
7. Be careful not to feed Emma people food - again - stress = upset tummy.
9. For the kitties and the ferrets - I make sure we are accessible for them when fireworks are happening - sometimes they want to be comforted by Mom or Dad - Finn like to hide under the covers and lay in my lap when loud noises are happening.
10. Identification - make sure your furries have collar tags, microchips, or even better - both so you can find them should they manage to get out.
Hoping you and your critters have a happy and safe 4th!