A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Allergies and Hairballs - Having Critters is Glamorous


I have three critters who are seasonal allergy sufferers in our household - Oliver, Phoebe and Theo. This fall has been particularly tough for them and for the humans.  Ollie and Theo have been less impacted than Phoebe.

There are a few things I give the critters to help them with allergies.  The first is colloidal silver.  I put some in their water and it really seems to help them.  The second is probiotics - also in the water - this seems to help them from an immune system perspective.  Lastly - in extreme cases like we had tonight with Phoebe - when they are congested - a drop of Ephrine Nose Drops.  I have only ever used these on the kitties - never on the ferrets and like I said - only in rare cases.  Phoebe was sneezing and wheezing so I put one drop in one nostril and like magic she cleared right up.  She is sleeping away - no worse for the wear and is feeling better.

In addition to sneezers - the kitties are putting on their winter coats as are the ferrets.  This means more hair and more hairballs....ugh.  I gave all the cats and weasels a little shot of hairball meds tonight to keep everything moving through their systems.  The good thing is that the meds usually make things come out the back end rather than the front....if you know what I mean.

Glad that Miss Phoebe is feeling better and that in general my little zoo seems pretty healthy....

No comments: