A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, November 14, 2014

Closure

This will be a tough post to write - I haven't been in a place where I could get through it until now but I thought it was important to share:

When Clooney passed it was very tough on all of us - but especially on Theo.  He was somewhat withdrawn and he started acting out.  I did some research after his passing and found out that whenever possible you should let the other ferrets see the deceased member of their little ferret family.  We did not do this with Clooney and as a result Theo spent some time searching for him.  He had no idea where his friend went.

When I found Finn I remembered that information and decided to let the others see him before I took him to the animal hospital.  It was heartbreaking to watch as each of his siblings came to say goodbye.  They each tried to wake him, Violet bathed him - they each stayed for a few minutes and then went on about their way. I also let Oliver see Finn - he did some bathing and said his goodbyes.  Then my husband came home and picked us up and we went to the hospital to drop Finn off.

I believe that letting the others see Finn before we took him made a big difference.  The ferrets were subdued for a couple of days but nothing like when Clooney passed.  None of them were looking for Finn and there were no bad behaviors.  Now - 11 days later they are happy and carefree as ferrets should be. We are moving ever closer to a new normal....

No comments: