A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, November 17, 2014

Winston Update

My little piglet is growing up!!  Not only is he physically getting bigger but he is changing and maturing in other ways as well.

First - I posted about changing our routine up a bit so that he could sleep downstairs.  He doesn't love being in his pen any longer so we have been letting him sleep downstairs on his own.  He seems to like it and I enjoy getting to sleep in a bit later.  He spends some time upstairs - some with us - some alone so the ferrets have time to burn off some energy but for the most part he is a downstairs pig.

The beauty of having him be a downstairs pig is that he is doing fantastic with his potty training downstairs.  Don't get me wrong - we still have an accident now and then but I would say 95% of the time he is using his potty patch or going outside.  Thank goodness!!!  Upstairs he is not as reliable so I am happy that he is liking downstairs as much as he does.

During the day he is good about entertaining himself - he seeks out your attention when he wants it but isn't super demanding.  He plays with Emma and with the kitties during the day.  I have pretty much restricted him from having much interaction with the ferrets - he is totally unaware of them or your feet or anything else for that matter and he could very easily step on them and injure them.  Believe me - it HURTS - just ask my feet when I am getting his dinner ready.  He is heavy and his hooves are tiny - think cat standing on you X 1000.

All in all I am pleased with the way things are progressing with him.  I could do more tricks with him and we need to work on breaking him of being so pushy when you have treats or other food.  I keep reminding myself - he is just a baby still - only 4.5 months old.....

No comments: