A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Finnegan - January 2013 - November 2014

I am up early this morning after not sleeping well.  Losing Finn yesterday was a pretty crushing event.  In some ways his death is easier to deal with than Clooney's - it was fast and there was no decline in his quality of life.  He was fine just hours before - playing with his ferret siblings and enjoying life.  In some ways its much harder because with Clooney there was time to prepare myself as his health got worse.  Either way - I never imagined that we would lose him this young - its devastating.

Finn and Violet came to live with us in March of 2013 - they were litter mates and the hubs surprised me by picking two babies from the pet store to be friends with Madison.  That friendship was pretty instantaneous - Madison loved them both immediately.  Clooney - not so much.  In August of 2013 we added Theo to the mix and Theo and Finn became best friends - inseparable boys who played and wrestled and spent endless time together.  Over time Theo was able to convert Clooney into a ferret lover and the three boys became the three musketeers - friends who truly loved each other.  I was so thankful that Clooney had this time with his brothers and now Clooney and Finn will play together at the rainbow bridge.

Finn was also friends with Ollie and some days with Phoebe.  He was a very gentle ferret and curious.  We called him Dr. Finn as he would check you out each day - sniffing your eyes and nose and once when I had dental work - he spent a week checking out my mouth to make sure it passed approval.  He loved to cuddle, wrestle, play - he was quite the jumper and would fly through the air to get your hand or his brother. He was my toy lover and my toy hoarder.  There were piles of toys - big and small in each room that he created - not unusual at all for him to steal dog toys much bigger than he was.

Finn was also an extremely handsome ferret - very classic markings.  His face was precious and kept him out of trouble for there was no possible way to be mad at him for anything.  He was my darling boy and my heart is broken.  I never dreamed I would be using the ferret urn again so soon.

Goodbye my sweet, lovely boy.  I miss you so desperately and would give anything to have more time....






No comments: