A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Emma and Winston Visit the Vet

As you know we traveled over the weekend - as a result we needed care for both Winston and Emma. Since they both needed some things done at the vet I decided it would be good to kill two birds with one stone.

So - on Friday morning I loaded Miss Emma into the car and took her over to her vet - its right down the street.  I got her dropped off and a few hours later I had the results of her physical.  All in all things are pretty darn good with a couple of exceptions.  First off - she needs her teeth cleaned.  I have been putting it off because I don't like that she has to be put under anesthesia but I think she does really need it so I will likely schedule it in the coming months.  Before that can occur though - we have to have a bile acid profile to try to figure out the continued slight elevation of her liver enzyme numbers.  They are pretty much exactly where they were 8 or so months ago.  I guess the good news is that it hasn't seemed to get worse but we need to figure out what the deal is.  She is completely a-symptomatic for any liver disease I could find online so I hope maybe this is an old age thing?  We will see.  Unfortunately the test requires some fasting which will require some planning on my part....I will keep you posted.

Back to Friday morning - after I dropped off Em I got Winston into his harness.  We have figured out a pretty good way to get him to put it on - I lay it out on the floor and then strategically position the piglet - then scratch his belly which makes him flop on his side.  Then I wrap the harness around him and latch it - and voila he is good to go.  He was very cooperative about going outside and down the stairs.  He went potty on command in the flower bed and then only made a minor ruckus getting in the car.  On the way there he was fantastic - for the first time ever - no accident in the car.  Once we got out of the car at the vet he went potty outside again - hooray!  Then the trouble started - he was very unsure of going into a strange building.  After much trying the hubs just picked him up and carried him in which piglet loudly protested about.  We got him on the scale and wowser - he weighed in at a whopping 47 pounds.  Much heavier than we thought but he is really not much bigger.  I still think he is a great size - not too big - certainly not Esther size (we love you Esther the Wonder Pig)!  His physical went fantastic - here are the notes the vet made in his file:  'Winston looked good at his physical exam! I can still hear a heart murmur, but it is much quieter than it was when I first met him. He is not showing any symptoms of heart disease, and he is obviously thriving! He received his rabies vaccination while he was here as well.'

Monday morning I went to pick the piggy up - he got in his harness with no loud complaining and was very patient while we checked out.  He did great going out of the building and making our way to the car with a potty stop along the way.  Only moderate complaining getting in the car.  Then we headed over to pick up Emma....we got her scooped up and made our way home.  Winston got out of the car by himself - another first and was quite cooperative making his way into the house.  I think he is getting the hang of this whole harness/walking thing....

I am super happy to be home and to have my little gang back together again!

No comments: