A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Thursday, February 05, 2015

General Updates from the Zoo

 Let's do some general updates about my little furry bunch.  The ferrets all seem to be doing incredibly well.  They are happy and engaged and full of energy.  They seemed to do well while we were gone for the weekend - no issues.  Since we have been back they are very happy to be picked up and loved on which I am loving.  The little ones are getting better about finding me when I call them - they are not perfect but we are getting better and I think they are learning their names.  Kai and Tabby are both beverage freaks - doesn't really matter what the beverage is - they want it.  Theo is a fan of white cheddar popcorn.  I let him have one piece - just the puffy part - not the kernel part and he loves it.  All in all - I am happy with the state of the business.


 The kitties are doing well!!  We had no mishaps while we were gone.  Hairballs are few and far between and I switched the blend of their cat food to an indoor formula which seems to have made the kitty puke fest come to an abrupt end.  I have to call the vet and get them in in the next week or so - I think I will do 2 and 2 - maybe Ollie and Phoebe together and then Aggie and the dreaded Zoey - oh how I hate having to take her in.  I adore her but she is just plain awful at the vet.  Look for those updates in the next week or two.


Piglet and pup are great - both getting back into the groove since they boarded for the weekend. Winston has gotten a bit pushy when it comes to dinner time or any other time associated with the humans eating.  I decided that it was time for us to work on manners a bit and we have really been focusing on that for the last few days.  All in all I am still amazed at how smart pigs are.  They learn things so quickly.  Winston likes to stand on his back feet and rest his front feet on your chair or the couch to put himself in prime position for getting a nibble.  This was fine when he was a bit smaller but now he can be quite a pain in the rump.  Since he came home on Monday we have been working on sitting and waiting politely for a bite.  Its going well and for the most part he gets it - he gets frustrated sometimes and misbehaves but he really is making quick progress.  Emma is her same chilled out self - love her.  She should win some sort of patience award for putting up with pig antics, cat craziness and ferrets crawling all over her every day.

All in all - the gang is good - no complaints....

No comments: