A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Stories of the Day

Ah - the stories of the day....

First off - its COLD!!  Not loving the winter weather - but that's not really a story.

Ollie kitty has a squinty eye today - not sure why but guessing that when he was playing with Phoebe or the ferrets someone poked him.  I have ophthalmic ointment on hand for such occasions and have given him a couple of doses.  I think he is better tonight - he went from keeping it closed to having it half way open.  I will watch him closely and take him back to the vet if necessary.



I started a new training activity with Winston today.  I have decided to teach him to walk on the treadmill.  Our first session was interesting - it took some coaxing to even get him up there.  Once we did manage to get on he totally did not understand what he was supposed to do and was dumped off the end of the treadmill - with a loud snort.  Then I thought I would try to get him on there with it on going very slowly.  He would put his front hooves on the belt and feel it move and make a hilarious screechy noise.  So we settled for practicing getting on and off for today.  I don't think it will take him too long to pick it up though - once we get the hang of it I will provide a video for sure.


Emma was quite the trooper and went on a walk with the hubs and I this evening in the snow.  It's fascinating to me that she is completely neurotic about walking on a hard wood floor but she is totally sure footed on ice.  Crazy dog.







The ferrets helped me with chores today - I love it when they are up and about during the day.  I did a few chores before my work day started and they were right in the middle of everything I was doing. They are so fun!





Zoey is doing great - she has been on antibiotics for a few days now and I think she is really doing well.  Phoebe and Aggie spent the bulk of the day in front of the fire - can't say that I blame them.  All in all - a pretty good critter day.

No comments: