A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Outdoor Crawlies

Warning - if you get the heebie jeebies from spiders you might want to skip this post.  Me - I think spiders are cool and they don't freak me out at all.  I am most definitely not a spider squisher - if they are inside I scoop them on to a piece of paper or into a paper cup and put them out.

Today I was on my walk with Winston and Emma and I found these guys on the fence post by our back gate.  Not sure what the deal with them - LOTS of them for sure!!  Not sure what kind they are but based on Google I think maybe red house spiders -  they were fascinated by me though and they tried to check me out by flying on their webs over to see me.  Glad I am not afraid of spiders.  If they are red house spiders they are totally harmless - fangs not strong enough to break through human skin.

I think they are pretty cool - maybe a bit brazen hanging out just 30 feet or so away from an incredibly active bird feeder..... the pictures don't really do them justice.  The part hanging off the rock - the kind of droopy part hanging down from the top of the second photo - that's what I think is the nest that all of these babies came from.  There are literally hundreds of babies piled there.






No comments: