A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Two Rescues

This week we have had two rescues - one pretty minor and one pretty special.

First - I found a sweet froggy who was trying like crazy to get out of the pool.  I got Winston's water dish and scooped him out.  He sat on the edge of the bowl for quite some time before hopping off happily into the grass.  Don't get me wrong - I love froggies but it wasn't a super exciting rescue.

Today though - a young female cardinal hit our bedroom window pretty hard.  She was dazed and staggering on the patio.  I went out to check on her.  She let me pick her up - she perched on my finger.  I sat with her, petting her, trying to comfort her.  She let me check out her wings, both were fine and she let me look at her legs - both seemed fine as well.  She sat with me for about 20 minutes and then flew off into the flower bed.  I kept an eye on her for a bit - she hopped around the bed for a few minutes and then flew to the feeder and got some seeds.  I think she was okay - at least I hope so. It was pretty special to get to hang out with her for a bit.

Did I mention I love "my" outside critters?

No comments: