A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Zoey - April 2001 - March 2016

I am incredibly sad to have to report that last night we lost our sweet Zoey kitty.  She had been losing weight over the last few weeks and  she took a very fast turn yesterday and passed away just after midnight last night.  I am grateful that I was with her at the end.  She was cuddled up in her blanket, comfortable on the bed in the critter room with Phoebe, Oliver and Aggie all in very close proximity.  She was visited over the course of the evening by the ferrets.  I think she knew she was loved, she in her familiar surroundings and she wasn't hooked up to a bunch of needles at a vets office (she really hated visiting the vet) with strangers. For that I am thankful.

We have had Zoey in our lives since she was 10 weeks old.  She was a beautiful, complicated spit fire who loved her mommy and could be very snitty to everyone else.  She was the first furry kid that my husband and I got as a couple and we went a long way to get her.  She was a kitten born to a cat of the neighbors of my parents in Colorado.  She was promised to someone else.  We met her when we were on a road trip and we left without her.  A few hours later we got a phone call that we could take her if we wanted to.  My husband was the hero and immediately turned the car around.  It was fate - she was definitely supposed to be in our family.

Unfortunately our orange girl was plagued with health problems pretty much from the beginning.  She had respiratory issues - a diagnosis or cause was never found but she often had breathing challenges.  She was on thyroid medication, had some dental problems, etc.  For a somewhat sickly kitty 15 years is a pretty long run. We have had many scares with her and we thought we might lose her a few times over the last few years.  I am so thankful for the time I had with her.  I like to think that she had a pretty great life with us filled with lots of affection, attention and companionship. I already miss her grumpy butt.

Rest in peace my sweet orange snagglepuss.  I hope you know how much you were loved....





1 comment:

Unknown said...

so sorry for your loss. so glad she was at home with you.