A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Spring Cleaning and a Jail Break

Yesterday I did some spring cleaning in critter land.  You know... the icky deep cleaning, discarding the ripped up toys, replacing grubby water and food bowls and replacing the litter box.  Not much fun but necessary work.

For the litter box I use a long shallow under the bed storage box.  It works great but it is really hard to empty so this time I decided to replace it with three under the bed storage boxes that equal the length of the big one but can be emptied much more easily.  The interesting thing is that since there are three kitties they have each claimed one as their own and they don't seem to go in each other's.

While I was cleaning I set some trash outside the critter room door and somehow the door didn't latch when I closed it.  We had a jail break.  Phoebe (kitty) and Theo, Kai and Tabby all went through the door before I realized it was open.  Phoebe, Theo and Kai were easy to find as they didn't stray too far - just to the guest room.  I got them back in their space and proceeded to look for Tabby.  I couldn't find her anywhere.

She had crawled under the door to get to Winston's (pig) area.  Thankfully he was napping.  He got up when he heard me come in and when Tabitha saw a giant pink critter coming down the hall oinking at her she high tailed it back under the door into the kitchen.  When I went in to get her she ran right over to me and seemed happy to be picked up by mom.  I took her back to critter land and all was right in the world.

Their space is all clean and sparkly - tomorrow I may drag out the carpet shampooer and do their rugs.  Seems like the maintenance is never ending...but so worth it.

No comments: