A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Emergencies!!


Okay - today is the day after a completely wild and crazy weather day where we live.  When the earthquake and tsunami happened about a month ago I was inspired to create emergency kits for the humans and critters in my family.  After yesterday I am so glad I did and I am very motivated to finish them up and get them into their rightful spots.  I thought I would do a post to talk about what I put in there:

For the humans - food (similar to MRE's), water (the kind in pouches that has a 5 year shelf life), batteries, flashlight, battery powered cell chargers, change of clothes, toiletries, first aid kit

For the critters:
Nigel - cage bedding, food, water, blankets and the snap and use heating squares to ensure he stays warm, and I put all of the kit items in a large plastic bin so he could live in there if necessary
Clooney - food, water, ferretone (his daily supplement), treats, toys
Kitties - litterbox, food, water, toys, treats
Emma - food, water, toys, treats

I also have a critter first aid kits that I picked up on line

Kits will live in vehicles and one in the garage.

We have an exit plan for our house should we ever have a fire (yes - I am a fire chiefs daughter).  We also have a meeting place that is somewhere other than our house so we can find each other should we not be able to get to our house and not have a way to communicate.

Have you made your plans or kits?  Days like yesterday make me happy we have......

No comments: