A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, February 22, 2013

Hairball Remedies

We have hair - lots of hair - 7 critters with hair (1 with combo quills/hair).  As a result - we have lots of hair balls.  All four kitties get them.  They bathe themselves, each other, the ferrets and the dog.  I have the gooey stuff that comes in a tube and 3 of the kitties like it.  But it's kinda gross and its made of petroleum jelly - ick.

I have been poking around the information highway and there are some natural remedies for  hairballs that I might try out.

1.  Pumpkin - pure 100% canned pumpkin - not the kind for pies.  I might have to hide this in wet food because I don't see any of them willingly eating pumpkin.
2.  Probiotics - they have them for kitties- they come in packages you can pour over wet or dry food
3.  Grain free diet - I have gone down this road before - didn't really see much improvement and the kitties didn't enjoy it much.
4.  Brushing - I could certainly do more of this - the kitties love it.

I will give a few of these a try and report back.

No comments: