A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Freak Out Moment

Nothing like a little panic to get your Friday kick started.  I went out this morning to do a few things in the yard.  Somehow I didn't get the screen door totally latched and the bottom corner had a bit of a gap - with a little effort a baby ferret could squeeze outside.

Once I saw the door I immediately went inside to take attendance.  Clooney was snoozing in his chair - one down.  Finnegan and Violet were playing on our bed - two and three accounted for.  Madison was nowhere to be found.  This is bad - she is the one who is most interested in the door.  She is also the smallest of the four.  The good news was that she also is pretty good about coming when she's called.....notice I said pretty good.

I spent an hour searching for her - calling her - nothing.  I even searched outside - nope.  I ransacked the usual areas.  Could not find her anywhere.  I was pretty convinced that she had gotten out.  Just about the time I was going to call the hubs and tell him he needed to come home to help me look for her I remembered that the other day the door to the hutch in the dining room was open.  I remember wondering how they got it open as the magnet closure is pretty strong.  In desperation I opened the hutch and both Madison and Violet came spilling out.  You cannot imagine my relief.  Seems that little ferrets have been crawling up behind the hutch and sleeping in the table linens in there.

I am so happy she is safe and sound!!!  I am counting at least 7 more gray hairs.....

No comments: