A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Strolling Along....

Let me preface this post by saying the hubs is not impressed....he said I was "that person" and made me promise he would never have to be seen in public with this purchase... that said:

Look what I got...


Yep - its a pet stroller.  Now - let me be clear - I don't picture myself pushing my critters around the neighborhood in the stroller.  Zoey would absolutely love it but its probably not gonna happen.  Here are my thoughts on how we will use it though:


  1. I rarely take just one critter to the vet - in fact - once the babies get on the insurance policy I will be taking the 5 little critters for one visit.  This will come in quite handy - get them loaded up inside.  Head out to the car - pop them in the back seat and then out and into the vets office.  Much better than dealing with multiple carriers.
  2. Emergencies - I posted the other day that I was a planner.  As I reassessed our plan for fire, tornado or evacuation I was looking for ways to shave off time.  This stroller is quite large and has a 150 pound capacity.  Clooney and Finn might squabble and Aggie and Phoebe might fuss but the reality of it is - in a pinch there is room for all four cats, four ferrets and the hedgehog in there.  I wouldn't want to leave them in there for an extended period of time but it will work for getting everyone in one spot, secured and out in a very short amount of time.
  3. Aging puppies - we are very lucky that Emma is in fantastic health but she is 10 years old.  As she ages we may run into issues with hips, arthritis or other ailments that might require transporting her to and from the vet without her getting there under her own power.  I really hope we never have to use the stroller for this purpose but I did make sure that it could accommodate her size.  So far she is afraid of the thing so we have some work to do there.
  4. Travel - There are times when we take the little critters with us when we travel.  This is typically when we go to the beach for a week.  This stroller will be great for transporting them and for letting them hang outside with us in a safe little enclosure.
  5. Hanging outside - Both Zoey and Oliver LOVE to hang out outside.  With Zoey she is content just to go on the porch or the deck.  With Oliver - he is a runner so he has to be closely supervised.  With the stroller there is room for both he and Zoey to hang out comfortably.  I can take them outside with me while I work in the yard - they will be so happy!
So that's what I plan to do with it.  So far - other than the dog - everyone else seems to love it.  I set it up and have left it open for them to investigate.  I want them to get used to it and have it be familiar so that when they get stuck in there for an emergency they won't be freaked out.  Here are a few snaps:

Front View - with Zoey being our lovely model

Side View

Back View - red pocket for critter stuff, black pouch for water bottle

Ollie checking it out

Is he a ham or what??

Phoebe and Ollie

Madison and Violet

Violet

Phoebe wondering what Violet is doing in there

Madison

Finnegan

Eskimo Kisses - Ollie and Finn

Finn

No comments: